Are You a Dental Phobic? We can help!
What is Dental Phobia? Dental Phobia is fear of the dentist and of receiving dental care or treatment.
It is estimated that approximately 75% of adults experience some degree of dental fear. As a result of their fears, these adults avoid dental care at all cost, until they experience a dental emergency, such as an abscessed tooth, broken tooth or pain that they can no longer tolerate.
The causes of dental fears in adults have been reported to develop after a traumatic, difficult or painful dental experience. Dental fears in children are due to their lack of knowledge or a clear understanding of what is happening to them while at the dental office. Often times perceived fear based on things people read, hear, or see can be even more powerful to their mind than any actual experience they may have had on their own.
Overcoming dental fears CAN be achieved. Here at Meiners Dentistry we strive to make every patient experience a positive. With your first call to our office, we will ask a few questions about you and your past dental history. This helps educate our doctors and assistant to better assist you in your comfort needs.
Communication is the key. The more we know about your dental fears, the better we can serve you. Be specific about your likes and dislikes. Ask us questions about the treatment you will be receiving. The more comfortable you are, the better we can care for your dental needs.
Our relaxation techniques include a combination of the following:
· Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) – An odorless gas that will aid you in being able to relax. It is an inhalant that works while you are breathing it, but once it is out of your lungs it no longer has an effect. Patients are able to drive home after using it and it does not put you to sleep. Works great for both adults and works remarkably well for children!
· Topical gels – used to numb the gum tissue prior to receiving local anesthetic.
· Noise Cancelling Headphones with ANY music - used to drown out unpleasant sounds. We have a brand new wifi enabled music device that allows us to play almost any conceivable music you want to hear. Just tell our assistant what your favorite genre, decade, or artist is, and you'll have the music of your choice which is much more relaxing than listening to our instruments! Want your own music? Just bring in your phone or mp3/ipod player and ask for our noise cancelling headphones. We even have complimentary WiFi (just ask for the password) so you can stream popular music services like Songza, Pandora, Spotify, or TuneIn.
· Protective tinted eyewear – we offer sunglasses to block out our bright lights. The doctors both have new LED spotlights on their glasses to see and work better, but they are really bright!
· Positive reinforcement is used by the doctor and staff – we understand how you feel and will make every effort to make you as comfortable as possible.
Here is the look of a relaxed patient using nitrous oxide, noise cancelling headphones, and our protective tinted eye wear.
Here at Meiners Dentistry, our goal is to ensure you receive the highest quality of dental care available. Your health, comfort and individual needs are foremost in our minds.